The Kapiʻolani Home for Girls
Posted: November 9, 2016 Filed under: Articles, Day in History, Kalakaua, Kapiolani, Kingdom of Hawaii, Royalty, Teasers | Tags: Kapiolani
Today in history — November 9, 1885 — Queen Kapiʻolani and King Kalakaua dedicated the Kapiʻolani Home for Girls. The Pacific Commercial Advertiser described the scene at the ceremony:
“Prompt at 11 o’clock their Majesties the King and Queen, accompanied by … the Royal Family, .. were received by Vice Chamberlain, the Queen’s own saluting in a soldierlike manner.
“… the royal anthem [was] being played by the [Royal Hawaiian Band].
“… The room was tastefully decorated with palms, evergreen wreaths and flowers. A large picture of Queen Kapiolani … was hung in the center of the room, surrounded by wreaths.”
For the next fifty-three years, this charity would help daughters of leprosy victims.
Read more about it in “Kapiolani Home.”
“Kapiolani Home: Formal Dedication of the Building by Her Majesty the Queen”
Pacific commercial advertiser, November 10, 1885, Image 2