The Conversion of Iolani Palace to a Government Building
Posted: June 3, 2017 Filed under: Articles, Day in History, Kingdom of Hawaii, Teasers
This week in history — June 1893 — the Provisional Government converted Iolani Palace from a Hawaiian royalty residence to a government building.
A few months after the overthrow, Iolani Palace was now called the “Executive Building” for the Republic of Hawaii. Government offices moved in, redesigned the interior, and auctioned off the furniture and furnishings:
The old carved table upon which the bodies of the Kamehamehas were laid out after death was seen standing in the walk on the Ewa side of the building. It was tabu to the natives around the premises, and none of them would go near it or touch it. They did not seem to have the same fear of the tabu lately laid upon ‘the ex-queen’s palace’ by the kahunas to keep the haoles out …
Read more about it in “At the Capitol.”
The Hawaiian gazette, June 6, 1893, Page 3