All microfilm reels must go through a workflow process on their journey to becoming digitized.
Our Colleagues at the Kentucky Digital Newspaper Program have put together a number of video tutorials on microfilm, found at this link:
Microfilm 101 Part 1 is shown below.
Here the process we use here at the University of Hawai’i.
- Newspaper titles selected by advisory board
- Based on their decision, suggest titles to be digitized for the next batch to Project Coordinator and Project Director
- Check master holdings via voyager or UH Microfilm Database. Ask microfilm database expert if problems arise.
- Examine content of microfilm copy from our holding for general page count, quality and irregularity
- Order MF copy from OCLC [via Preservation Department] or Advanced Micro Image/AMI [via Serials Dept.], make sure to order NDNP Metadata requirements [density reading, resolution, etc – refer to spec sheet]
- Make sure to get a release letter from the institution responsible for master microfilm
- Make sure also that iArchives have enough supply of external hard drives and pelican case, also that we have one or two of each for monthly submission to Library of Congress [LC].
- While waiting for copy to arrive [approx. 3-4 weeks], examine the microfilm copy in our holding for irregularities thoroughly; page by page, annotate in a spreadsheet.
- When copy arrives, do duplicate density reading and resolution if not done yet.
- Do general check on all reels.
- Prepare, pack, and send reels to iArchives.
- Inform iArchives about shipment.
- iArchives will send back a monthly batch of approx. 10,000 images, following LC’s requirement of no more than 10,000 images per monthly shipment.
c. Post-digitization/Quality Assurance
- When digital products [tiff, jp2000, pdf, and xml] arrive, do verification on the DVV.
- Back up content to our own server [contact DNS for more space]
- Inspect issues and pages.
- Examine and crosscheck pages with irregularities.
- At the same time, find significant or interesting news from the issues.
- Prepare for shipment to LC.
- Create shipment manifest.
- Pack [attach NDNP sticker on the box] and send external hd to LC.
- Notify Deb Thomas of LC about batch delivery.
- Wait 3-4 weeks for acceptance/rejection of batch
- When result comes out, external hard drive will be sent back and received in about 1 week.
- Repeat pre-digitization process.